Did we feel that it’s only women who are concerned about their figures? No. Men too like to be fit, and a six-pack frame is what every man desires. A muscular body and abdomens that are a visual treat is something no man would say no to. But, even if not a six-pack, no man would like to own a pair of boobs.
Man boobs, that is.
Gynecomastia is a condition of excessive fat or glandular tissue growth in the male breast, causing what no man would like – man boobs.
On a basic note when we talk about the unusual tissue growth in the male breast, the question that strikes your minds is it life threatening?
Well, the answer to this issue is, gynecomastia is certainly not a life-threatening disorder. It is a hormonal imbalance which occurs in males during puberty. In some cases, it could also be a result of obesity. The condition is quite a worry because breasts are a female attribute. While for women it is the beauty builder, men with man boobs feel extremely conscious and about their appearance.
When the testosterone in the body decreases in comparison to oestrogen, the tissues in the breasts form lumps that make them grow like those of women. There is no particular reason for this condition, but it usually occurs when there is an imbalance between the male and female hormones leading to the increase of oestrogen in the body.
Although this condition affects the appearance of a person, the fact that it isn’t harmful to life is a matter of relief. But the problem still does not end there. Gynecomastia remains a problem affecting your happiness concerning moving among peers. Feeling shy and embarrassed to have women-like physical appearance is a part of losing self-confidence as a result. So here we look at how to help you sort this issue.
Consultation with your plastic surgeon
Plastic and cosmetic surgery offers many treatments for an unusual condition like axillary breasts and gynecomastia. Gynecomastia surgery in India is still a less chosen treatment but has gained quite some popularity over the last ten years.
So here’s what your consultation will be like
Your surgeon will analyse an essential examination of your previous medical history and related symptoms before planning surgery. In some cases, the problem might not need a surgical procedure and can be resolved with certain specific exercises that your doctor might recommend along with a special diet. This can also be the case if you are on a weight loss program.
If you are going ahead with surgery:
Your doctor will guide you with instructions on how to prepare yourself for the surgery.
Your diet will be changed accordingly for a period before you get the surgery done.
Your doctor will recommend you with specific eating and drinking intervals and instructions for any medications that you are on. (if any)
Avoiding intake of aspirin is an important thing that your doctor will mention.
Gynecomastia is usually an out-patient surgery. However, your surgeon might recommend you to have an overnight stay at the hospital.
Gynecomastia surgery is done in different ways based on the degree of severity. Liposuction is the most popular procedure used for the removal of excess breast tissue.
- Gynecomastia surgery is done under general anaesthesia which will help you relax during the surgery.
- Although liposuction is done to eliminate excessive fat deposits, it is not enough to remove the breast tissue.
- The surgery is painless and lasts up to 40-45 minutes.
- Breast tissue growth requires a surgical excision.
- After liposuction is done, a U-shaped incision is carried out under the nipple (areola), to remove the enlarged gynecomastia gland.
- Once the surgery is done, the skin under the nipple area is sutured back.
- The scar heals in a few weeks and fades over a period.
- After the surgery, your doctor will recommend you to wear compression garments for some weeks.
- Compression garments help in healing faster and make the skin in the chest area firm.
Recovering a gynecomastia surgery is the phase where you will need to pamper yourself a bit. Here we have a short guide into all that you need to know about recovering after a gynecomastia surgery.
- Have someone drive you back home after your surgery
- Wear your compression garment for a few weeks
- Make sure you have a balanced diet and follow what your doctor has recommended
- Do not lift heavy weights or indulge in any activity that requires stressful physical work
- You can resume exercising when your doctor gives you a go ahead.
If you are planning a gynecomastia surgery, you sure will have a free thought and a better understanding of what you can expect of it after your surgery.
About the hospital:
Sai Sanjeevini Multi Speciality Hospitals, a unit of Singapanga Healthcare Pvt. Ltd has been providing health services to the people in need for the last 14 years. This health care organisation combines practical, proven research, cutting edge procedures and state-of-the-art treatment to produce excellent medical and lifestyle outcome for our patients. Our hospital and medical staff provide innovative medical care in a friendly, compassionate, community environment conducive to patient recuperation in a family atmosphere.