A knee Replacement Surgery is performed on a person, who is suffering from arthritis or osteoarthritis, or a knee injury. It is considered by Orthopedician as the most effective treatment for knees.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery:
Total Knee Replacement Surgery: This type of a knee replacement surgery is performed to replace the entire worn out cartilage inside the knee with a prosthetic bone. The prosthetic bone has a smooth surface that helps in the the regular movement without any friction inside the knee. After a knee replacement surgery, a patient needs to be under post operative care. After bed rest for a week, the patient needs to start with sessions of exercises to gain full range of movement.
Partial Knee Replacement: Here, the surgeon will replace only the part of the knee which is affected. This is a relatively easier surgery as compared to total knee surgery, as the whole knee not is taken out, the size of the incision is lesser, which is result in a lesser amount of blood loss while the surgery is performed.
Procedure to perform a knee replacement surgery:
- A person is first administered spinal anesthesia.
- The worn out parts which have been causing pain within the knee are cut and they are replaced by prosthetics. These prosthetic are capped inside the knee, which would not produce any friction..
- The first step is to make an incision and then cut through the tibia bone and bone in the thigh.
- Once it is cut, the new prosthetic part is inserted after measurements and it is placed between the femur and the tibia during a knee replacement surgery.
- The femur is placed by a curved piece of metal and the tibia is replaced by a flat metal plate.
- The wound is sutured or clipped.
Care after a Knee Replacement Surgery :
- You should use a walker or crutches to assist you with walking immediately after the surgery.
- You may need mild – anti inflammatory medicines – post a knee replacement surgery.
- You should take physiotherapy sessions according to the schedule as prescribed by a doctor
- Inspect once doctor after 2 weeks to clean the surgical wound and for suture removal.
Knees are arguably one of the most important parts of the body. The entire weight on the body falls on the knees. Hence, care and caution after fixing those new knees is of utmost importance. At Sai Sanjeevini Hospitals, some of the best orthopedicians work together in contributing towards effective knee replacement surgeries.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
Sai Sanjeevini Multi Speciality Hospitals A Unit Of Singapanga Healthcare Pvt. Ltd Has Been Providing Health Services To The People In Need For The Last 14 Years. This Health Care Organisation Combines Practical, Proven Research, Cutting Edge Procedures And State-of-the-art Treatment To Produce Excellent Medical And Lifestyle Outcome For Our Patients. We also have a wide array of specialties including Pulmonology, Neurology, Gynecology and are pioneers among all Orthopedic Hospital in Hyderabad.
About The Doctor
Dr. Anjaiah is a reputed Orthopedic Doctor in Hyderabad with an experience of 22 years in this field. Dr. Anjaiah practices at Sai Sanjeevini Hospitals in Kothapet, Hyderabad. He completed MBBS from Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad in 1991 and MS – Orthopaedics from Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad in 1994. All his patients trust him with their bones and also their lives. So Book your Appointment now.